You are cordially invited to join the first planning meeting for the 2009 MLK Day of Service on the Richmond Greenway which will be on Monday, January 19th, 2009.
The planning meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 1st from 6:00 to 7:30 at the Nevin Community Center on 6th Street and Nevin, just down from Kaiser in the Iron Triangle.
Last year more than 150 volunteers turned out (in the rain, even) to honor the spirit and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by working together to tangibly improve our community. Volunteers on the Richmond Greenway:
—–built, filled, and planted raised garden beds at Lincoln School Farm and Berryland,
—planted California native plants and fruit trees,
—picked up garbage along the Greenway
—listened to speeches and performances inspired by Dr. King’s message
—shared a delicious lunch made from almost entirely West County produce
—danced to the tunes of DJ Goodbeer
This year we hope to bring even more folks out to the Greenway, especially Greenway neighbors. Please join us next Wednesday to start planning this important event.
Below is a list of possible committees. . .
(1) Community Outreach and Registration Committee—distributes flyers, contacts community organizations to get them involved, goes door-to-door to invite Greenway neighbors, etc. Also, organizes registration desk on day of event.
(2) Publicity and Design Committee—creates flyers, map, and program
(3) Projects and work crew leaders Committee—organizes various volunteer work crews and trains work crew leaders
(4) Work team hosts/Team Building Committee—plans team-building/socializing activity for work teams.
(5) Food Committee—solicits donations of West County ag products; organizes cooking and serving of lunch
(6) MLK Program, Entertainment and Tabling Committee—invites speakers, performers and DJ. Also invites organizations to table at the event.
Please send an email to park(at) urbantilth (dot) org or call at (510) 691-5051 if you plan to attend or have questions or suggestions.
We look forward to working with you to create a wonderful 2009 MLK Day of Service in Richmond.
Doria Robinson, Park Guthrie, and Cheryl Maier