Summer Apprentice Program
The Summer Youth Apprentice Program hosts 40 West County youth at community garden, creek restoration, and farming sites across Richmond, CA where the youth will spend 6-weeks (100 hrs) learning about environmental justice, food justice, and food sovereignty and working alongside our staff to steward land, and cultivate resources our community!
The program includes workshops, field trips, guest speakers from people working various environmental, farming, social justice and land management fields, hands on learning work days, and a camping trip!
To view photos from last year’s SAP, click here!
In 2022, we will be hosting youth apprentices in the following dedicated Summer Apprentice Crews:
- SCHOOL GARDEN CREW: Working at both the Richmond High and Verde Elementary School Gardens
- COMMUNITY GARDEN CREW: Working in the Greenway Community Gardens: 16th street and 6th Street and Ohio Ave
- PRODUCE BOX CREW: Working to harvest, pack and deliver fresh produce to local families and learning about our food justice and our food system with the Farm to Table Community Supported Agriculture Project
- WATERSHED CREW: Working with our Watershed’s Team to help restore local creek and learn about water protection, restoration along Wildcat Creek & Cerrito Creeks
- SPECIAL THIS YEAR: Ujima “Collective Work and Responsibility”: This new cohort will explore Black Land and Liberation – We will be building a new garden space devoted to Afro-ecology and healing while talking through the African American experience in agriculture before and after our sojourn on Turtle Island.
- Upon completion of the 100 hrs of the program youth will receive a $1,000.00 stipend.
- WHO CAN APPLY: The program is open to West Contra Costa youth ages 15-19 years old
- TRANSPORTATION: Apprentices must be able to provide their own transportation to their project sites which are all in Richmond.
- SAFETY: Applicants must be safe to work at the project sites in Central Richmond, East Richmond Heights, South Richmond, and / or North Richmond.
The Summer Apprentice Program is a PAID Apprenticeship. Learning is apart of the experience, and full participation in all activities is expected. The program includes approximately 100 hours of hands-on learning and community service for which apprentices earn a $1000 stipend.
- PLEASE NOTE: Apprentice stipends are based on the completion of 100% of program projects, tasks and learning exercises. If the program is only partially completed, the amount of stipend will be reduced based on the percentage completed.
How to Apply
Below you will find a button linking you to the 2022 Application Form
Please complete all sections of the Application Form by Friday May 20th, 2022.
- Only completed applications will be considered.
All candidates will be interviewed online via Zoom between Monday, May 23, 2022 – Friday, May 27th, 2022. If you are applying to this year’s program please download the Zoom app onto your device (phone, tablet or computer) ahead of time. (https://zoom.us/download)
It is imperative that you schedule an interview and are on-time for your interview.
Accepted applicants will be announced on Monday, June 6, 2022.
Looking forward to another unforgettable year!