Urban Tilth’s 2022 Summer Apprentice Program!
This program hosts 40 West County youth at community garden, creek restoration, and farming sites across Richmond, CA where the youth will spend 6-weeks (100 hrs) learning about environmental justice, food justice, and food sovereignty and working alongside our staff to steward land, and cultivate resources our community!
*The program is open to West Contra Costa youth ages 15-19 years old
The program includes workshops, field trips, guest speakers from people working various environmental, farming, social justice and land management fields, hands on learning work days, and a camping trip!
In 2022, we will be hosting youth apprentices in the following Project Areas:
- Richmond High and Verde Elementary School Gardens
- Farm to Table Community Supported Agriculture Project
- Greenway Community Gardens: 16th street and 6th Street and Ohio Ave
- Watershed Restoration Crew: Various Locations along Wildcat Creek & Cerrito Creek
- Ujima “Collective Work and Responsibility”: This new cohort will explore Black Land and Liberation – We will be building a new garden space devoted to Afro-ecology and healing while talking through the African American experience in agriculture before and after our sojourn on Turtle Island.
Upon completion of the 100 hrs of the program youth will receive a $1,000.00 stipend.
If participants complete less than 100 hrs they will be paid whatever percentage of the stipend that they complete.
Please complete all sections of the Application Form by Friday May 20th, 2022.
- Only completed applications will be considered.
All candidates will be interviewed online via Zoom between Monday, May 23, 2022 – Friday, May 27th, 2022. If you are applying to this year’s program please download the Zoom app onto your device (phone, tablet or computer) ahead of time. (https://zoom.us/download)
It is imperative that you schedule an interview and are on-time for your interview.
Accepted applicants will be announced on Monday, June 6, 2022.
Looking forward to another unforgettable year!