Urban Tilth cultivates agriculture in West Contra Costa County to help our community build a more
sustainable, healthy, and just food system. We work with residents, schools, community-based organizations, government agencies, businesses, and individuals to develop the capacity to produce 5% of our own food supply. Since its founding in 2006, Urban Tilth has emerged as a local leader, a catalyst of integrated, food-and community-focused efforts.
Within these efforts of food justice and sustainability our “Gleaners Program” seeks to provide a distributed orchard within the community through our Annual Fruit Tree Giveaway, connect with already established fruit tree owners and give individuals the option to participate in the program to receive essential maintenance on their fruit tree year-round to ensure optimal growth and production in exchange for a percentage of the harvest. With the anticipated growth and further development of this program; we envision being able to redistribute hundreds, perhaps, thousands of pounds of fruit to families in need through Urban Tilth’s free farm stands and free CSA programs.
Urban Tilth has an immediate opening for an Orchard For All Program Manager. The person who holds this position will manage the preparation, development, delivery, and documentation of a thriving distributed orchard in the community from start to finish under the supervision of the Director of Farm and Gardens. The Program Manager will be responsible for the management of Pre-Program, In-Program, and Post Program duties over the course of the next 5 years including leading an annual fruit tree giveaway at the organization’s sites throughout the Richmond community, development of youth workforce training program specializing in tree care, thorough data collection and analysis for fruit tree giveaway recipients, managing a small team apart of our growing “Gleaners Program”, documentation and reporting on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis, conduct research and develop plans to outreach and expand “Gleaners Program”, and completion of annual program reports and evaluations.
This position requires a clear vision for the program, tenacity, self-directed follow-through on tasks,
extensive experience in outdoor youth workforce development, excellent communication skills, experience working with youth of diverse backgrounds, training in mediation and conflict resolution, attention to detail, and strong time management/ project and personnel management skills, and a warm heart!
● Lead Annual Fruit Tree Giveaway of 450 Fruit Trees
● Research and development of curriculum and training for staff to ensure best practices in Tree Care
● Hire, Train, and Manage a team of 4-8 youth workers year-round (ages 16-24)
● Plan and implementation of Gleaning Program operations and outreach within the community
● Organize recipients of distributed Orchard within the community
● Research or develop best practices to organize the community Gleaning Program
● Develop and distribute Richmond Fruit Tree Lovers Fruit Tree Care Newsletters
● Work with local organizations, schools, and stakeholders to recruit training program participants
● Recruitment of Richmond Fruit Tree owners to participate in the Gleaners Program
● Complete evaluations and reports with recommendations for program improvement
● Attend monthly All Staff meetings
● Submitting expense reports in a timely manner
● Attend meetings in regard to TCC grant funding with Collaborative Stakeholder Committee
● Provide presentations on the status of key action items based on project to the Collaborative
● 4-5 Years of Experience in Curriculum, Workforce, Training Development
● 3-4 Years of Experience in Farming, Fruit trees, or Orchard Management
● Excellent communication and organizational skills
● Reliable, punctual, and able to meet deadlines
● Excellent conflict resolution skills
● Experience working with youth of color.
● Proficiency in online social media, communications, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Excel
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Collaborative yet self-driven work style
● Comfortable managing multiple tasks and picking up new tasks as needed
● Experience working in Richmond and or San Pablo
● Confidence in one’s ability to lead and make decisions on behalf of the whole group
● Full-Time Hourly position: $30.00 / hr
How To Apply:
Send resume, references and cover letter via mail or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Urban Tilth has a great team and we are doing great things. Check out our website: