Urban Tilth cultivates agriculture in west Contra Costa County to help our community build a more
sustainable, healthy, and just food system. Since its founding in 2006, Urban Tilth has emerged as a local
leader, a catalyst of integrated, food- and community-focused efforts. Staffed by residents and drawing on principles of leadership and youth development, we teach, farm, forage, train, and employ residents to increase our community’s food self-sufficiency. We strongly believe that underserved communities have the potential to solve our own problems if given real opportunities to obtain adequate resources, quality education, meaningful employment and real leadership pathways.
Urban Tilth has an immediate opening for a CSA Procurement Specialist serving our CSA (Community
Supported Agriculture) Programs at the North Richmond Farm. This position is responsible for managing an array of weekly tasks including curating and ordering the produce needed across all Urban Tilth programs, budgeting the costs of produce for each pack, managing/creating relationships with farmer partners and agricultural support networks, following procedures to ensure farmers are paid, and scheduling deliveries in coordination with the CSA team. This position also includes assisting the facilitation of the CSA pack, assisting in leading the CSA crew, and picking up produce when needed from farmers.
This position will also work with the CSA team and Farm Collective to help to prep, harvest, wash, pack, pick up and deliver boxes of locally grown fruits and vegetables to local CSA members and pick up sites in West Contra Costa County. This position may also assist with farming related tasks during the week as needed.
Excellent work ethic, communication, strong organizing habits, ability to take initiative and self organize,
ability to work collaboratively, positive attitude and attention to detail will be primary measures of success for this position.
This is a full-time salaried position. Delivery driving is a required part of this position. Applicants must have excellent customer service, a safe and clean driving record and a valid driver’s license and be able to start immediately.
Delivery and pickup driving is a required component of this position. Drivers must have punctual
communication and trip departure and arrival time management, a safe and clean driving record and a valid driver’s license.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS and COURSES
This position is required to complete and pass a Servsafe Food Service certification and a defensive driving course within 90 days of hire. Urban Tilth will pay for the 1st attempt at each course. Urban Tilth will only pay 50% of the course fee and expenses for the second attempt and any further attempts will be the responsibility of the employee. ALL CSA staff must complete these courses within 90 days in order to maintain their position.
● Coordinate pick-ups and deliveries from farmers. Communicate with the CSA team to make sure
someone is available to drive to farmers or be on site to receive deliveries and help farmers load
produce into our cooler. Many times, this person will be the Procurement Specialist.
● Facilitate the storage and distribution of boxes requested to be returned to farmers.
● Find networking opportunities with BIPOC farmers and form relationships with them.
● Hold compassionate, respectful, and empathetic space within working relationships with partner
farms, partner non-profit organizations, and other community players.
● Work with partner farmers and Farm Collective to create production plans to maximize sourcing
from individual farmers yearly.
● Taking initiative to support partner farmers in accessing resources and capacity building.
● Collect and track all farmer invoices. Record when they are received, fill out all appropriate forms
and work with the bookkeeper to make sure each farmer is paid.
● Track the amount of produce the CSA program distributes weekly, along with any produce bought for
other Urban Tilth programs.
● Attend weekly Farm Collective meetings to assess the next week’s harvest estimates. This includes
writing the estimates in a group message, putting out Harvest signs, and making decisions in
collaboration with the farmers.
● Assist with harvest weekly on the farm. Provide feedback and detailed observation of what is
brought in. This ensures you have knowledge of what is happening in the field and that you have
enough produce ready to go for that week’s pack.
● Creatively curate weekly CSA boxes with attention to budget, carbon footprint, colors, shapes,
farmer needs and seasonality.
● Act as a liaison between Urban Tilth program managers and partner farmers – provide farmer’s
produce availability to the managers and communicate to farmers these additional orders
● Meet weekly with CSA Managing Collective.
● Meet once a month with the whole CSA team to offer support, feedback, and scheduling needs.
● Conduct employee reviews one time a year for each person on the CSA team.
● Work with CSA Collective to create, track and complete an annual Action Plan
● Respond and address customer feedback (positive and negative), working with the CSA Collective to
correct any errors made during packing, delivery, or pickup.
● Pack and deliver CSA produce boxes to CSA members.
● Work with CSA Collective to coordinate box pick up sites.
● Relay any feedback from CSA members to farmers and the team to maintain quality.
● Work with volunteers and staff of special farm projects and during volunteer days.
● Attend monthly Urban Tilth All staff meetings.
● Participate in specified all-staff Urban Tilth projects, programs and events.
● Track all work hours accurately in Urban Tilth’s time-management system.
● Attend trainings, conferences, and/or workshops to continue to develop professional skills.
● An open-minded approach to taking on new tasks and innovating current procedures.
● Experience working in Richmond and West Contra Costa County
● Comfortable moving around in Richmond and North Richmond
● 2+ years of related experience in facilities coordination (associate, coordinator etc.)
● 2+ years of food service, gardening, or agriculture related experience.
● High Proficiency in Google Suite including Google Sheets or Excel
● High Proficiency in Project Management
● Proficiency in Social Media platforms (Facebook, Instagram and YouTube)
● Valid Driver’s License
● Verified safe and clean driving record via MVR
● Ability to lift, stack, load, push, pull, squat up to 50 lb multiple loads daily
● Bilingual Spanish
● 2+ Years of work experience using Google Drive Suite (Docs, Sheets)
● 1-2 Years of inventory coordinating or management experience.
● 6-12 months of facilities maintenance experience
● Excellent conflict resolution skills
● Excellent verbal communication skills
● Collaborative yet self-driven work style
● Comfortable managing multiple tasks and picking up new tasks as needed
● Full Time Salaried Position @ $66,560 / yr + benefits after 60 day probationary period (medical,
dental, sick leave, holidays & vacation)
● Some weekends and holidays required
*Low income, people of color, women, LBGTQ, Richmond, Sab Pablo and West Contra Costa County residents
are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply:
Send resume, cover letter and a current copy of you driver’s licenses and references via mail or email to:
ATTN: CSA Procurement Specialist Hiring Committee
323 Brookside Dr
Richmond, CA 94801